Autoformer Volume Control, or Transformer Volume ControlWe think that AVC, or TVC are one of the many great things that happened in audio industry in the past 10 years. The sound signature brought forward by AVC, or TVC can be stated as - better fluidity, warmer, wider bandwidth, and more analogous.
For those that are unaware (not following us on Facebook, it is a good time to do so now!), we've found a new casing to house our TVC (Transformer Volume Control), or AVC (Autoformer Volume Control).
Here are some pictures of the casing. The matte version is still available if one still want those.
Some past articles on TVC and AVC. We can do both, but TVC is preferred due to various reasons, but we can still do AVC if customer prefers AVC. There's no right or wrong in audio, just what one prefers.
** brushed pot -> stepped attenuator -> digital volume control -> AVC -> TVC
Some tips on using TVC / AVC:
* low output impedance source is preferred but not
* use a very high quality switch - it make or breaks the AVC / TVC
* durability of the switch is very important - you will be switching them quite frequently
* encased / sealed switch is preferred over open casing type
* step down type of TVC will have lower output impedance and will be capable of driving heavier loads compared to AVC
* invest on good low melting point solder and good soldering irons - very swift soldering, with low melting point solder is preferred - TVC / AVC are made with very thin wires and are very fragile
Hear the unheard! Sail the uncharted!
Long live custom made audio!
J&K Audio Design