Saturday, January 14, 2017
Power cord versus power transformers
We've seen many that spend thousands of dollars on their power cord like nothing at all. The price paid for all the power cords connected to the CD player, preamp, power amp, power strips, and etc, would have cost more than a Toyota Camry in U.S.A.
For those that have yet to do so, please consider upgrading the power transformers of your existing equipment first, than to lavish on such high end power cords. I'm not saying that they are snake oil. They do work, very effectively, and I've witnessed many. What I'm saying is, upgrading the power transformers would have much higher ROI than just upgrading the power cords.
Just spend a little more, once, on your power transformers, and it will bring you a long, long way down the road. Power cords can be easily upgraded, fuses can be changed with snap of fingers (I don't even want to go down the road with fuses) power transformers are not.
There are more than just wires in a power transformer. There are a few important factors to consider in a power transformer:
* junk grade, low grade, high grade, and extreme high grade low loss core
* lousy made in you know where, street side magnet wires, industrial grade magnet wire, and very high grade OFC/PCOCC magnet wires for audio use
* transformer design - night market seller grade, beginner grade, factory grade, boutique grade
* winding method - no rules friend noodle type, better but still not satisfactory winding method, industrial grade, and true audiophile grade, with stringent alignment, magnet wire tension, proper insulation, impregnated type
* finishing - no finishing, simply spray paint, industry grade transformer use paint and oven backing
* etc that I will not go into detail
Once you do all the above right, and pay the right price for a properly made one, you will discover how much more it will give you in return, for that very little investment you made, compared to U$1-10K power cords. General generic power transformers made are not even over U$1K, mind you. You want it to sound special, go for special quality components! Audiophile components are just limited to capacitors, resistors and/or wires only, the power transformers and chokes are part (very important one too) of them.
Good ones will cost you. I will be honest with you. It will not be cheap, but it is totally worth it. You can shy away. It's your lost, not ours. Period.
It just saddens me that I often see people skimp on their power transformers, and spend all their monies on expensive power cords. Well, good luck to you, you fools. Don't complain when you discovered (at the end) why your creations do not sound as good as it could be.
For the wise ones, congratulations, you've chosen the right path, and welcome to J&K world, go for the best, and be rewarded with the best results.
First rant for year 2017, mind me. I'm a foolish old fool, seeking my way towards audio nirvana. :P
J&K Audio Design
Level 0: link 1
Level 3: depends on type, size and complexity. Email us for details.
Power-trans: link 1
* Finished amplifiers, DACs, audio gadgets, upgrades and repairs - this is not our core business and we do it out of passion. We do not have fixed models, fixed price and we customize for each individuals. The sky is limit of creativity.
* Our product lines are always improving and increasing. If you do not see what you want, contact us!
* Please email for volume discounts, distributor and OEM pricing.