Introducing low cost R-core transformers!
Textbook says (not us), the benefits of R-core transformers are, but not limited to:
- Stray magnetic flux is low, x10 lower that EI transformer
- R-core transformer is smaller than EI by 30%, slimmer by 40%, and lighter by 40%
- R-core transformer generates 50% lesser heat than EI transformer
- R-core transformer generates lesser noise compared to EI or gapped core transformers
- R-core is more reliable, easier to install and better stability than toroid transformer
R-core transformer employes a circularly wound steel core. The primary and secondary coils are wound on it. Due to the minimal gap between the coils and core, the loss is very low. Also, annealing treatment can be applied directly to the core to condition it at its best magnetic state to reduce distortion.
Our R-core ranges from 10VA (~U$25) to 1250VA (~U$340) per unit, depending on customization. If higher capacity is needed, customers can go for toroid transformers or parallel R-core transformers to go to as high as 2500W. Such parallel usage would be for balanced isolation transformer where the +ve is by a 1250VA unit and the -ve is by another 1250VA unit to make 2500VA in total.
One good example would be to make isolation transformers with R-core transformers! Due to the low profile nature of the core and windings, it can be made very compact with very good electrical properties!
On the other hand, those who does not prefer R-core or still do not believe in R-core can still go for single C core transformers. We are introducing the economical C core power transformers as well ranging from 5VA (~U$28) to 1600VA (U$460), depending on customization. Parallelism can be done to get 3200VA unit too if needed.
|Single C core transformer - horizontal version|
|Single C core transformer - upright version|
J&K Audio Design